The different systems
Heating your water accounts for a big part of your energy bills, so it's important to choose a system that will provide enough hot water and be efficient. The options are:
- Direct, on-demand water heaters for localised hot water.
- Direct immersion heater - typical in many homes.
- Electric boiler or air source heat pump - ideal when switching from gas or oil.
- Integrated air source heat pump - the most efficient hot water system.
- Solar thermal - using the Sun's direct heat.
- Solar photovoltaic - using electricity generated by solar panels.
The amount of hot water you want, and where you want it, will help decide which option is best for you.
Electric boilers for heating water
An electric boiler is the engine of your home, converting electricity into heat for hot water and heating. The benefits of an electric boiler include:
- 100% efficient
- Reduced carbon emissions
- Quiet when running
- Easy to control
- Can often use existing hot water tank
- No fuel tank or flue required
Direct immersion heaters
Direct immersion heaters are very common in homes in Jersey. They use an element (similar to a kettle) to heat water stored in an insulated tank.
- Easy to operate
- Compatible with discounted off-peak tariffs
- Separate from your boiler
- Stay warm for hours without reheating
On-demand water heaters
On-demand or point use water heaters use our low-carbon electricity to heat water when its needed. They have a number of benefits including:
- Suitable for remote applications, extensions, garages
- No storage tank required
- Easy maintenance
More low-carbon hot water systems
Heat pumps provide renewable heat. They're incredibly efficient, easy to install and good for the environment.Learn more
Solar hot water systems
Discover how you can harness the power of the sun to heat your home's water.Learn more
Efficient installations by JEBS
Choosing the right installer is just as important as choosing the right solution. JEBS are our trusted installers and you can count on them for your hot water system installation.
See this solution at Smarter Living
Smarter Living is the home of smart energy solutions. Visit to view their range of hot water systems and get expert advice from an Energy Advisor.
Book your free heating survey
Whether you're switching to electric from oil or gas, or wish to replace your existing electric boiler hot water system fill out the form, and we'll get in touch to arrange a home visit.