This guide will help if you are:
- Leaving a commercial property where you are responsible for the electricity supply; and
- Moving into a commercial property where you will be responsible for the electricity supply
It covers the following topics:
- What to do before leaving your current premises
- Final meter readings & bills
- Disconnecting the supply to your old premises
- Moving to a premises with a disconnected supply
Before leaving your current commercial premise
Before you leave your current commercial property, you must complete the Notice of Change of Tenancy Form and The Application for Supply to a Non-Domestic Property.
Please complete the form at least 48 working hours before leaving or taking over your commercial premises.
You will need the following details to complete the Commercial Change of Tenancy Form:
- Your business's Customer Number
- Business phone and email contact details
- Current premises' address
- Moving out date
- New premises' address
- Moving in date
- Correspondence address
- Date to take final reading meter
The Notice of Change of Tenancy Form and The Application for Supply to a Non-Domestic Property can only be completed on paper.
Please return paper versions to the following address:
Customer Care Centre
PO BOX 45
Alternatively, scan and email it to email@example.com.
Final meter readings & bills
We will take a final meter reading on the date you specify on the Notice of Change of Tenancy.
This reading will be used to create your final bill.
If your property is fitted with a Smart Meter we can take the reading remotely. If we need to read the meter in person, you'll be responsible for the supply until we can gain access to the meter and disconnect if needed.
Disconnecting the supply to your old premises
Unless a new tenant has notified us they wish to take over the supply, we will disconnect it.
If we cannot disconnect the electricity remotely, we'll need to gain access to your meter. You will be responsible for the supply until we are able to gain access.
Moving to a premises with a disconnected supply
If the premises you are moving to has had its supply disconnected you'll need to do the following:
- Call our Customer Care Team on 01534 505460
- Complete an Application for Supply for a Non-Domestic Property
Reconnecting the supply
If the supply had the service fuse removed and installation is still in a safe condition:
- We'll reconnect the supply within two working days if we can access your meter and connections
- We'll leave the main isolator switch off as it's your responsibility to turn on the supply and ensure it's safe
- If we can't access the meter, we'll leave a card asking you to arrange a time when we can gain access
- If any fault on our supply equipment prevents us reconnecting it immediately, we'll fix it and notify you of any delay
If the supply was remotely disconnected:
- We'll remotely reconnect the supply within 48 working hours
- It's your responsibility to turn on the supply in your property and ensure it's safe to do so
- You'll need to access the meter and energise the supply by following the instructions on the meter screen