JE is committed to ensuring your privacy is protected. This Privacy Notice applies to all of JE’s businesses in respect of any personal data controlled or processed by JE. Our Smart Meter data privacy is set out here.
Jersey Electricity plc (JE) is a vertically integrated power utility dealing in the importation, generation, transmission and distribution of electricity. We are the sole supplier of electricity in Jersey. Providing affordable, secure and sustainable energy is our core objective. In addition, we have non-Energy businesses which include Retail, Building Services, IT, Environmental Engineering and Property.
Our vision is to responsibly and sustainably deliver value to our customers and we strive to meet or exceed our customers’ expectations throughout our various operations.
Terms such as personal data, data controller and others pertinent to this Privacy Notice have the meanings as set out in the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018 (DPJL).
By ‘we’, ‘us’, ‘our’ we mean Jersey Electricity plc, PO Box 45, The Powerhouse, Queens Road, St Helier, Jersey. JE4 8NY. By ‘you’, ‘your’ we mean any individual customer, supplier or other third party that receives products or services from us, uses our website or otherwise interacts with us.
This privacy notice sets out how JE processes personal data, whether it be in respect of individuals who are customers or other third parties collectively being data subjects and further sets out the rights of data subjects in respect of their personal data.
The DPJL requires data controllers to process data lawfully, fairly and transparently and in order to meet these requirements JE must give detailed and specific privacy information to data subjects, as follows:
1. The information we collect
We need to collect certain personal data and other information from you in order to provide you with an energy supply and in order for you to receive other products and/or services from us. We collect this personal data when you communicate with us in person or by letter, phone, email or social media. The personal data we collect is:
- Your title, name and address, for billing and delivery purposes.
- Your other contact details e.g. your telephone number and email address.
- Your date of birth.
- Your energy usage, for billing purposes.
- We will allocate you a Customer Number and associate your Meter Number and Premise Reference to enable the administration of your energy supply.
- If you have a Smart Meter, this sends us details of your energy usage automatically. More information regarding how this is collected and used can be found at: www.smartthinking.je. Alternatively, please contact us using the details at the end of this notice and a copy of this will be sent to you.
- Financial information e.g. your bank account and debit or credit card information which you choose to provide to us.
- Your payment history.
- Your preferences in so far as these relate to JE e.g. whether you wish to receive your electricity bill by email or prefer a paper copy to be sent in the post.
- If you visit our shops we may record your image on our CCTV systems. We do this for reasons of security to protect our staff, customers, premises and other assets.
- If you visit any of our websites we collect your IP address, details of the browser software you are using and we record what you do on our websites. We do this using cookies. For more information on these please visit our Cookies Policy.
- If you use social media to communicate or connect with JE then we collect certain personal data from your social media profile e.g. your name and we may store your social media profile which we may combine with other personal data we hold about you.
- If there are special circumstances which make our provision of an energy supply to you of vital importance then we will record this information and prioritise our efforts accordingly.
- We may hold information about you if your bill is to be paid by a third party.
2. Information we receive from others i.e. third parties
JE does not routinely collect any personal data from third parties but we may be provided with your name and other contact information by third parties in a variety of circumstances. In all cases JE will handle your personal data in accordance with our data protection policy and this privacy notice.
3. What we do with your personal data
a. The purposes for which personal and special category data are intended to be processed:
- Provide an electrical energy supply or other products and services you may request.
- Respond to your questions.
- Identify you.
- Calculate your electricity bill based on your meter readings. We may also use this information to help us detect theft or fraud.
- Contact you to provide information about our services, changes thereto and other administrative matters we may wish to bring to your attention and, with your consent, details about new products, services and offers that may be available to you from time to time.
- Staff training.
- Product development.
- Market research.
- Ensure your health and safety and that of our staff, contractors, subcontractors and other third parties who may be involved in the provision of an energy supply or other goods and services to you or other clients of JE.
- Estimate the amount of energy you are likely to use over a period.
- We use your payment history to help us offer you credit, where you request it.
- Manage and enhance our websites.
- General business administration in respect of the JE businesses.
- Compliance with all laws, regulations and other standards applicable to JE.
- Protect our legal rights and legitimate interests.
- In the event that you or a third party have provided us with information regarding special circumstances we will use such information to tailor our products and services so that these are delivered in the most appropriate way possible to meet your needs.
b. The legal basis for our processing of your personal data are:
- Legitimate interests
- Vital interests.
c. Details of any legitimate interests pursued by JE, if our processing of your personal data is based on those interests:
- To meet our stated objectives.
- To run the business as efficiently as possible.
- To ensure our range of products and services best meets the needs of our clients.
- To enhance the functionality and security of our systems and to ensure these best meet the needs of our customers and visitors to our websites.
- To ensure JE meets all legal, regulatory and ethical obligations incumbent upon it.
- To safeguard the interests of our various stakeholders.
We may rely on your consent to process personal data in respect of the following:
- Certain direct marketing by post, email, text message or other means;
- Certain services provided in relation to your Smart Meter - please see the Smart Meter notice at www.smartthinking.je.
- In the event that there are requirements for your welfare (e.g. if you are vulnerable or due to age, health, disability or financial circumstances) we may seek your consent to store details of these requirements on our systems, to help us in our efforts on your behalf.
Data subjects have the right to withdraw their consent at any time. Should you wish to withdraw your consent for either of these purposes then please contact us using the details at the end of this notice.
5. Who we pass your personal data to, if we pass this on to any third parties
- Third parties concerned with the provision of an electrical supply.
- Other goods and/or services or in connection with the provision of our websites, technical support and security services.
- Payment collection processors.
- Family members, co-habitants and landlords; Rental security deposit holders.
- Delivery/logistics service providers.
- Marketing and research agencies.
- Credit reference agencies.
- Any third party in connection with the enforcement of our Terms and Conditions or the collection of debts or for the protection of our rights or those of a third party, our staff, customers or others in connection with the protection of our assets or the safety of any person, the recovery of amounts due to us, to respond to any claims against us and to prevent illegal activity.
- Government departments, including, when required by law, the Police.
- Regulators or other legally appointed organisations.
Should your personal data be passed on to a third party providing services to JE that require them to process your personal data then JE will seek to enter into an agreement with that third party setting out the respective obligations of each party and to agree terms to ensure compliance with the DPJL or equivalent legislation.
6. Data transfer outside the European Economic Area
JE does not intend to transfer personal data to any country outside the European Economic Area.
7. The period for which the personal data will be stored, or if that is not possible, the criteria used to determine that period
JE will store your personal data for a period which is appropriate to the purpose for which it is collected and processed, including to meet any legal, accounting or other regulatory/reporting requirements. Our usual practice with regard to personal data held in respect of customers is to keep records regarding their identity and the operation of their account for 10 years from the date their account is settled. If you write to us we would routinely keep your correspondence, together with any reply and other relevant information, for three years from the date of the conclusion of the matter.
8. Data subjects’ rights
Data subjects have the following rights regarding data processing, and the data that is recorded about them:
- To make subject access requests regarding the category and nature of information held, the purpose for which it is held, details of any processing performed, the period for which it is to be held and to whom it has been disclosed.
- To prevent processing likely to cause damage or distress.
- To prevent processing for purposes of direct marketing.
- To be informed about the mechanics of automated decision-taking processes that will significantly affect them.
- To not have significant decisions that will affect them taken solely by automated processes.
- To sue for compensation if they suffer damage by any contravention of the DPJL.
- To take action to rectify, block, erase, including the right to be forgotten, or destroy inaccurate data.
- To have personal data provided to them in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and the right to have that data transmitted to another controller.
- To object to any automated profiling that is occurring without consent. This is linked to the rights of the data subject to object to profiling and to be informed about the existence of profiling, of measures based on profiling and the envisaged effects of profiling on the individual.
- Data subjects have the right to complain to JE in respect of the processing of their personal data.
- To lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority.
9. Automated decision-making
JE uses personal data collected about you for the following purposes:
- To help us offer you credit, where you request it.
- Monthly direct debit calculation for clients who choose to pay for their energy supply at a fixed amount per month.
You have the right to object to any decision made wholly or partly by automated means. You can ask for an explanation of any automated decision. You can require a human review of any automated decision. Should you wish to exercise any of these rights please contact us using the details at the end of this notice.
10. Provision of personal data
JE may require the collection of your personal data in accordance with the provisions of our General Terms and Conditions for Supply at: www.jec.co.uk/terms-and-conditions.
11. Contact us
Attention: Data Protection Officer
Jersey Electricity plc
PO Box 45
JE will review this privacy notice periodically and will post updates on our website.
JE Privacy Notice v3.0.
16 November 2020.