Jersey Electricity plc (JE) is a vertically integrated power utility dealing in the importation, generation, transmission and distribution of electricity. We are the sole supplier of electricity in Jersey. Providing affordable, secure and sustainable energy is our core objective. Our non-energy businesses include Retail, Building Services, IT, Environmental Engineering and Property.
JE is committed to ensuring your privacy is protected. This privacy notice sets out how JE processes personal data, whether it be in respect of individuals who are clients, suppliers or other third parties collectively being data subjects and further sets out the rights of data subjects in respect of their personal data collected in connection with their use of Smart Meters. For details of our approach to protecting your privacy for all other aspects of our business see our general privacy notice here.
JE is the “data controller” of the information collected from your Smart Meter and any information you provide to us in connection with the Smart Meter or smart meter servicing received from JE. References within this policy to ‘we’, ‘us’, ‘our’ means Jersey Electricity plc, PO Box 45, The Powerhouse, Queens Road, St Helier, Jersey. JE4 8NY. By ‘you’, ‘your’ we mean any individual client, supplier or other third party that use Smart Meters and/or receives smart metering products or services from us.
Terms such as personal data, data controller and others pertinent to this privacy notice are defined by Article 1 of the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018 (DPJL).
You can contact our Data Protection Officer by writing to The Data Protection Officer, Jersey Electricity plc, PO Box 45, The Powerhouse, Queens Road, St Helier, Jersey. JE4 8NY or by emailing email@example.com.
- The data we collect
We will collect and store the following data:
- Your name, address, telephone number and email address;
- Energy consumption data from your Smart Meter, including monthly, daily and half-hourly electricity consumption data;
- Information about how your Smart Meter is functioning (for example if it has any faults or has been tampered with);
- We will allocate you a customer number and an associated Smart Meter number and premise reference to enable the administration of your energy supply;
- Financial information e.g. your bank account and debit or credit card information which you choose to provide to us and your payment history;
- Your preferences in so far as these relate to JE e.g. whether you wish to receive your electricity bill by email or prefer a paper copy to be sent in the post;
- If there are special circumstances which make our provision of an energy supply to you of vital importance then we will record this information and prioritise our efforts accordingly;
- We may hold information about you if your bill is to be paid by a third party.
- We may record the contact details of a Smart Meter Buddy who is prepared to assist you in using the information available in your Smart Meter Account.
- Information we receive from others i.e. third parties:
JE does not routinely collect any personal data from third parties in respect of your Smart Meter but we may be provided with your name and other contact information by third parties in a variety of circumstances. In all cases JE will handle your personal data in accordance with our data protection policy and this smart meter privacy notice.
- Why do we need the data
We will process your data in the following ways to fulfil the contract between us:
- to provide your with an electrical supply and any other products or services which you may request;
- to maintain your Smart Meter account;
- to provide you with information about your energy consumption;
- to calculate your energy usage and any debt or credit accrued, we may also use your payment history to help us offer you credit where you request it;
- to identify and fix faults or issues with your meter (if any) quickly;
- to deliver products and services to you which are linked to your Smart Meter;
- deliver service communications (such as bills) and to tailor these communications to your preferences; and
- to enable us to respond to your complaints or queries.
We will process your data in the following ways because we have a legal obligation to:
- investigate misuse of your account, crime or fraud;
- assist law enforcement agencies and other public authorities;
- ensure your health and safety and that of our staff, contractors, subcontractors and other third parties who may be involved in the provision of an energy supply or other goods and services to you or other clients of JE; and
- ensure JE is compliant with all laws, regulations and other standards applicable to it.
We will process your data in the following ways because we have a legitimate interest to:
- track trends in energy consumption and analyse your data and compare it over time with other customers’ usage so we can develop and tailor products and services for you;
- provide you with interactive tools to analyse your energy consumption such as your Smart Meter Account or the Smart Meter App;
- give you tailored advice and recommendations on how to reduce your specific energy usage for example to provide you with energy saving advice;
- help us forecast demand for energy and to develop and maintain an efficient, co-ordinated and economical system of electricity distribution;
- carry out internal reporting, modelling and analysis to understand our customers better to enable us to maintain and improve our services and products. Provision of daily and/or half hourly energy usage will provide us with a more detailed view of our customers energy usage and help us to develop our services and products to best serve our customers;
- contact you to provide information about our services and changes there to and other administrative matters we may wish to bring to your attention;
- provide staff training; and
- protect our legal and legitimate business interests accordingly.
We may rely on your consent to process your data in respect of the following:
- to send you direct marketing materials about new products, services and offers that may be available to you from time to time.
- to set up a Smart Meter Buddy, at your request, for your Smart Meter Account. We will ask for consent of the nominated Smart Meter Buddy to take on this role. The details of these consents will be recorded.
- in the event that there are requirements for your welfare (e.g. if you are vulnerable or due to age, health, disability or financial circumstances) we may seek your consent to store details of these requirements on our systems, to help us in our efforts on your behalf.
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Should you wish to withdraw your consent for any of these purposes then please contact our Data Protection Officer.
- Who we pass your personal data to, if we pass this on to any third parties:
We may share data with the following categories of third parties. We will never sell your data to a third party for their own marketing use.
- Suppliers, contractors, subcontractors and other third parties concerned with the provision of an electrical supply to Smart Meters, Smart Accounts the Smart Meter App, our websites, technical support and security services;
- Payment collection processors;
- Smart Meter buddies; family members, co-habitants and landlords;
- Rental security deposit holders;
- Delivery/logistics service providers;
- Marketing and research agencies;
- Credit reference agencies, where you have requested credit;
- Any third party in connection with the enforcement of our terms and conditions or the collection of debts or for the protection of our rights or those of a third party, our staff, customers or others in connection with the protection of our assets or the safety of any person, the recovery of amounts due to us, to respond to any claims against us and to prevent illegal activity;
- Government departments including, when required by law, the Police;
- Regulators or other legally appointed organisations.
Should your personal data be passed on to a third party providing services to JE in respect of Smart Meters that require them to process your personal data then we will seek to enter into an agreement with that third party setting out the respective obligations of each party and to agree terms to ensure compliance with the DPJL or equivalent applicable legislation.
- Automated decision-making:
JE uses automated decision-making processes when processing your personal data for the following purposes:
- to help us offer you credit, where you request it; and
- monthly direct debit annual recalculation for clients who choose to pay for their energy supply at a fixed amount per month.
You have the right to object to any decision made wholly or partly by automated means and you can ask for an explanation of the decision. You can also require a human review of any automated decision.
- International Data Transfers
JE does not intend to transfer personal data to any country outside the European Economic Area. In the event that we, or a third party who we share data with, transfer, host, store and/or handle your data outside of the EEA for example where we and/or our service providers (including servers) are based outside of the EEA we will ensure that adequate safeguards have been put in place in order to protect your data. This means that we will:
- ensure that the country which your data will be handled has been deemed “adequate” by the European Commission under Article 45 of the General Data Protection Regulation; or
- include standard data protection clauses approved by the European Commission for the transferring of personal data outside of the EEA into our contracts with those third parties.
- How long will we keep your data
We will store your personal data for a period which is appropriate to the purpose for which it is collected and processed. When determining the relevant retention period we will take into account factors including:
- our contractual obligations and rights in relation to the data involved;
- legal obligation(s) under applicable law to retain data for a certain period of time;
- (potential) disputes; and
- guidelines issued by the Jersey Office of the Information Commissioner.
We will erase your data once it is no longer needed. You can request a copy of our retention policy from our Data Protection Officer using the contact details above.
- Your rights in relation to your data
As a data subject you have the following rights in relation to your data:
- the right to access the personal data we hold about you;
- the right to be informed about the personal data we collect, how it is being processed and from whom we collect such data;
- the right to request the correction of inaccurate or incomplete data;
- the right, in certain circumstances, to request the blocking or erasure of your data (including the right to be forgotten);
- the right to data portability, whereby you have the right to obtain your data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and the right to have that data transmitted to another controller;
- the right to object to us processing your personal data (i) where we have a legitimate interest to do so but your rights override ours based on your particular situation (which you will need to explain to us), (ii) where we are processing it for the purpose of direct marketing; or (iii) because we are using automated means to make decisions that have a legal of similarly significant effect; and
- the right to withdraw your consent to any processing activities which require your prior consent as listed above.
To exercise any of the above rights, or if you have any privacy related questions, please do contact our Data Protection Officer.
Smart Meter Privacy Notice v2.0.
26 February 2021.